Once a year in Monterey, CaliforniaÂ the TED ConferenceÂ is held.Â The purpose of theseÂ conferences (now also semi-annually all over the globe)Â is to bring together global leaders in science, arts, politics, global issues, architecture, music andÂ other fields andÂ to “exchange ideas of incalculable value.”Â Many of the speakers are recorded and their presentations are shown on the TED website under TED Talks.
A number of talks included:
- Jeff Skoll makes movies that make change
- Patrick Awuah on educating leaders
- William Kamkwamba on building a windmill
- Will Wright makes toys that make worlds
- Emily Oster flips our thinking on AIDS in Africa
- Blaise Aguera y Arcas demos Photosynth
- James Howard Kunstler dissects suburbia
Big ideas do end up as a result of TED and every year TED award winners are granted three wishes to change the world. Check out these winners and their ideas.
One of the TED Talks on YouTube: