Position Title: HIV Prevention Technical Advisor
Division: Research and Development
Reports to: CEO
Location: Cape Town, South Africa
Date Drafted: 15 March 2010
Desired Start Date: 1 August 2010
Grassroot Soccer (GRS) is an international NGO that uses the power of soccer to educate, inspire, and mobilize communities to stop the spread of HIV. Through interactive HIV prevention and life skills education, GRS provides youth with the knowledge, skills and support to live HIV-free. Since 2003, more than 300,000 youth have graduated from programs run by GRS and its partners in 18 countries. GRS aims to graduate 1 million youth by 2014, rigorously evaluating our modelâ€™s success, scaling through implementing partnerships, and using soccer to enhance our impact.
The HIV Prevention Technical Advisor (HPTA) serves as Grassroot Soccerâ€™s public health specialist, responsible for: ensuring the quality of GRS Global programming; advising the development and design of programs, tools, curricula, and evaluations; developing GRS as a leading organization in youth HIV prevention; and strategically guiding the organization to achieve its goal of reducing HIV incidence among young people worldwide.
The HPTA will be responsible for a variety of tasks including:
1. Liaise with research advisors in the fields of public health, education, and sport-fordevelopment and ensure their input is incorporated into GRSâ€™ programs
2. Conduct literature reviews to inform grant writing, program design, curriculum development, and valuations
3. Ensure GRS staff and volunteers are sufficiently informed about the HIV epidemic
4. Obtain feedback on programs from beneficiaries and stakeholders through focus groups, site visits, and M&E data
5. Speak/present on behalf of GRS at national and international conferences, workshops, and meetings
6. Build relationships with relevant partners, donors, and other stakeholders
7. Assist in technical aspects of grant writing and program design
8. Advise the development of new curricula, ensuring interventions are based on sound theory and research and are appropriate for the targeted audience
9. Manage curriculum development consultants as needed
10. Review and approve all curricula and communications tools before implementation
Monitoring and evaluation
11. Provide technical assistance to M&E Officers in South Africa, Zambia, and Zimbabwe
as well as implementing partners in other countries (including Malawi, Tanzania, Kenya, Namibia, and Lesotho)
12. Develop strategic frameworks (e.g. logic models, conceptual frameworks, etc) for workplans, grants, and M&E plans.
13. Recruit, select, and manage evaluation consultants and research partners carrying out program evaluations
14. Conduct routine data quality assessments and build internal data management capacity
15. Oversee development of M&E tools and processes to track outputs and outcomes.
16. Design, implement and publish relevant research that informs GRS, other implementers, and the fields of HIV prevention and sport-for development
â€¢ Passion for and commitment to Grassroot Soccerâ€™s mission;
â€¢ A Masters Degree or higher in public health, education, or a related field;
â€¢ 5+ years experience in research, evaluation, curriculum development, program design, program management, advocacy, and/or health communications;
â€¢ At least 1 year of field experience working in health, education, or research, preferably in Africa;
â€¢ Interest and expertise in HIV prevention and/or youth development;
â€¢ Action-oriented, critical thinker who challenges the status quo and insists on results;
â€¢ Excellent writing skills, including grant writing and manuscript composition;
â€¢ Excellent communicator who can translate research into action across the organization;
â€¢ Track record of launching and implementing innovative ideas and programs;
â€¢ Experience with qualitative and quantitative program evaluation methods;
â€¢ High emotional intelligence and ability to work effectively with diverse groups;
â€¢ Computer literacy, including excellent Microsoft Office skills (particularly Excel and Powerpoint);
â€¢ Applicant must be a team player capable of working independently in a fast-paced, multi-cultural environment.
The tasks listed above are not an exhaustive list of all duties, but do comprise of the essential job functions. Grassroot Soccer reserves the right to change and update job specifications at any time it deems necessary.
If interested, send a CV and cover letter to email@example.com by 23 April 2010.