RPCV Highlight – Joan Eichner, GUY 14
1. What have you been up to since you finished Peace Corps?
Grad school and the 9 to 5 grind.
2. What do you miss most about Guyana and your Peace Corps experience?
Travel and adventure, hanging out with great PCV friends, and feeling like I made an impact on a daily basis.
3. How did your experience in Guyana affect your post-Peace Corps experience?
It helped me to finally get over my fear of the common US household spider, which cannot compare to the house spiders I dealt with in Guyana! It also made me want to work in public health and made me realize how what we do in the US impacts other countries.
4. Describe a challenge you worked to overcome while in PC Guyana.
Designing and implementing my PEPFAR project….from start to end it was challenging but worth it.
5. In 5 words, describe your Peace Corps experience.
HOT, LOUD, challenging, rewarding, fun.
6. What is your favorite Peace Corps Guyana memory?
The very first time we left our sites (illegally) and went to Leguan, skinny dipping in the knee- high river and drinking rum.
7. What was the hardest part of readjusting to post-Peace Corps life?
Explaining my experience to other people…re-adjusting to the excesses of American life… cutting down my use of “just now.”
8. Which lessons from Peace Corps have you applied in your post-Peace Corps jobs/life?
That every person has something interesting to offer to someone else, and to respect every person and try to understand where they are coming from and what they value…and patience, but I’m still struggling with that one.
9. What advice would you give a future or current Peace Corps Volunteer (Guyana or otherwise)?
Enjoy the experience, which seems to drag by at times, but two years is so short and you will never be in another experience quite like it.
10. Would you do Peace Corps again? Where, when and why?
Yes, I almost did – PC Response Corps, Malawi, HIV/AIDS prevention…cause it would be freakinâ€™ awesome!
Are you a Guyana RPCV who would like to be featured in our RPCV Highlight? Email me at email@example.com.